What experience do I have?
I have over eight years' experience teaching yoga. My original teachings came from the Scaravelli-Inspired approach where emphasis is on the movement of the spine, how we are breathing and how we relate to the ground. For instance, many of us brace unconsciously, holding ourselves away from the ground. So, can I really give my weight to the earth? Can I allow the natural wave of the spine to occur as I follow the end of the out-breath? Following these principles, we come to our practice anew each day.
My educational background:
- October, 2010 to September, 2016: PhD in Linguistics, University of Brighton: Beyond Propositionality: Metaphor in the Embodied Mind.
- January to June, 2013: John Stirk’s Postgraduate Yoga Teaching Course: What Lies Beneath.
- 2nd to 5th December, 2017: YogaBeez Four-Day Foundation in Teaching Yoga to Children, qualifying me to teach 3-14 year olds.
- October to February, 2018: the CU Fitter Award in Applied Delivery of Cancer Exercise, so that I can effectively work with those who have received a cancer diagnosis: from pre-habilitation to rehabilitation.
- 19th April, 2018: Suzy Daw's Yoga Therapy Workshop: the Lumbar Spine.
- 23rd & 24th April, 2018: Gary Carter's (Natural Bodies) Four-Part Fascial Anatomy Training for Yoga Teachers.
- 30th April to 4th May, 2018: Paul Linden's Trauma Course (Embodied Facilitator).
- 15th May, 2018: First Aid at Work 1 Day with Kirsty Douglas.
- 17th May, 2018: Suzy Daw's Yoga Therapy Workshop: the Thoracic Spine.
- 18th & 19th June, 2018: Gary Carter's (Natural Bodies) Four-Part Fascial Anatomy Training for Yoga Teachers.
- 22nd June, 2018: Living Anatomy with Jing Massage.
- 26th July, 2018: Suzy Daw's Yoga Therapy Workshop: the Cervical Spine.
- 9th, September, 2018: Dot Bowen's Yoga Workshop: the Long Limbs.
- 20th September, 2018: Suzy Daw's Yoga Therapy Workshop: the Sacro-Illiac Joint.
- 11th December, 2018: David Emerson's Healing Trauma Through Yoga Course.
- 22nd November, 2018: Suzy Daw's Yoga Therapy Workshop: the Pelvic Floor.
- 17th January, 2018: Suzy Daw's Yoga Therapy Workshop: the Pelvis.
- April, 2018 to date: Suzy Daw's Weekly Yoga Teacher's Advanced Practice.
- January, 2019 to date: John Stirk's Weekly Yoga Class.
- May, 2016 to date: Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen's Body Mind Centring Online Course.
- 6th November, 2014: Metaphor in the Mind and Body (conference presentation). Celebrating Research Festival: Bridge-Building in the Humanities Mini-symposium, University of Brighton.
- 10th to 11th January, 2015: Mental Imagery and Metaphor: an Embodied View of Cognition (poster presentation). The Language in Context- an Ecological Turn to Embodied Language Conference, University College London.
- 11th November, 2015: Can We Think in Images, Percepts and Feelings? (conference presentation). Mini Symposium: Language in Mind, Language in Use, University of Brighton.
- 30th March to 1st April, 2017: Mind the Gap: the Biological and Educational Potential of Knowledge Gaps in Narrative (conference presentation). Look Both Ways: Narrative and Metaphor in Education, Amsterdam.
- 12th & 13th May, 2017: The Engagement of Motor Imagery in Metaphoric Comprehension (conference presentation). Movementis: Movement, Brain, Body, Cognition Conference, Oxford University.
- November 11th, 2017: Instill Conference: Education, Yoga, Wellbeing, London (attending).
- 12th & 13th May: British Fascial Symposium, Solihul (attending).
- September, 2015: Mental Images and Metaphor. Letronica.
- Winter, 2017: The Engagement of Motor Imagery in Metaphoric Comprehension. Functional Neurology Rehabilitation and Ergonomics Vol.7(3).
- In press: You in Motion: Stories and Metaphors of Becoming in Narrative Learning Environments. Routledge.